Quebec man charged 1 month after partner’s killing, police say – Montreal | Globalnews.ca


Quebec provincial police say a man has been charged in the slaying of Véronic Champagne last month.

Quebec man charged 1 month after partner’s killing, police say – Montreal | Globalnews.ca

David Guertin, 41, is charged with second-degree murder and arson in his ex-partner’s killing.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Champagne, 40, was found seriously injured inside an apartment that had been set on fire in Rougemont, Que., 50-kilometres east of Montreal.

Champagne died in hospital a short time later while Guertin had also sustained significant injuries and was hospitalized.

Provincial police say they were initially unable to question Guertin for a few weeks due to his injuries.

Guertin will appear in court in St-Hyacinthe, Que. on Wednesday.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press


Quebec police bust sophisticated forged documents operation – Montreal | Globalnews.ca


Quebec provincial police say they’ve made a pair of arrests in what they are calling a sophisticated counterfeit ID and credit card operation.

Quebec man charged 1 month after partner’s killing, police say – Montreal | Globalnews.ca

The force’s economic crimes division says two men ages 34 and 42 face charges of production of counterfeit documents and identity theft.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

They were expected to appear virtually at the courthouse in Joliette, Que., northeast of Montreal.

The arrests come after a March 2025 raid by provincial police on a clandestine document production lab on Chabanel Street in Montreal.

At the time, police seized 1,000 forged documents and the equipment required to make them.

Police say items seized included driver’s licences, Canadian residency cards, Quebec health insurance cards, debit and credit cards, and social insurance cards.

Authorities say the forged documents were high quality and difficult to detect without the use of specialized equipment.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press


Quebec teen facing terrorism charge for allegedly promoting neo-Nazi group – Montreal | Globalnews.ca


RCMP say a Quebec City-area teenager is facing a terrorism charge for allegedly using social media to promote the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division.

Quebec man charged 1 month after partner’s killing, police say – Montreal | Globalnews.ca

The force says the accused, who cannot be named due to his age, is believed to have produced and distributed online material with the aim of inspiring and recruiting others.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The teen is expected to appear in court in Quebec City on Feb. 6 to face a charge of participation in the activity of a terrorist group.

The federal government describes Atomwaffen Division as a militant neo-Nazi terror group that calls for acts of violence against racial, religious and ethnic groups.

It was founded in the United States in 2015 and has since expanded, and has been listed as a terrorist entity in Canada since 2021.

An Ottawa man was sentenced in September to 10 years in prison for the promotion of hate propaganda against Jewish people that was produced for the group.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press