Mikel Arteta gives Jurrien Timber and Bukayo Saka update


Mikel Arteta gives Jurrien Timber and Bukayo Saka update
Timber and Saka missed training this week (Picture: Getty)

Mikel Arteta has provided injury updates on Jurrien Timber, Bukayo Saka and Martin Odegaard ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League clash with Sunderland.

The Gunners head into the weekend after an excellent pair of results following their setback against Manchester United, thrashing Leeds United last weekend before booking their place in the Carabao Cup final with a win over Chelsea.

Injuries have been a concern, however. Saka withdrew from the Arsenal starting XI during the warm-up shortly before kick-off at Elland Road, also missing the visit of Chelsea midweek. Noni Madueke started ahead of him in both games.

Odegaard played 61 minutes against Leeds but picked up a ‘niggle’ that afternoon that saw him left out of the squad midweek.

The duo were not pictured in training on Thursday with Jurrien Timber also absent.

Speaking ahead of the visit of the Black Cats, Arteta revealed the Dutchman is ‘fine’, suggesting he is fit to start on Saturday.

While Saka is ‘much better’, Arteta suggested this weekend will come too soon for him.

Get your football fix

Don’t want to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.

From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.

Sign up here, it’s an open goal.

‘His hip is much better, and hopefully very soon he will be with us,’ Arteta said.

Odergaard however is set to miss out again with his manager explaining he is still ‘a few days away’.

More to follow


De Ligt, Mount, Dorgu – Man Utd injury latest and predicted return dates


Michael Carrick’s Manchester United will target fourth successive win when Tottenham head to Old Trafford in the Premier League on Saturday lunchtime.

Manchester United are expected be without at least three first-team players for Saturday lunchtime’s Premier League showdown against Tottenham. Michael Carrick’s side host Spurs at Old Trafford looking to make it four successive victories after beating Manchester City, Arsenal and Fulham.

It’s a run of form that has seen United move up to fourth place in the Premier League table, just five points behind third-placed Aston Villa and six adrift of City in second. But the Reds are aware that failure to beat Spurs could see them drop to as low as sixth position with Chelsea and arch rivals Liverpool close behind them.

With Tottenham winless in six top-flight matches, however, United are going to no doubt be confident of securing yet another important victory. This is despite the Reds still having some players not available.

Here, we take a closer look at the United treatment table;

FOLLOW OUR MANCHESTER UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Matthijs de Ligt

Matthijs de Ligt has missed the last 12 matches due to a back problem. He is not expected to be available to face Tottenham, either, with Carrick confirming that it is “a little bit too soon at the moment.”

A return for De Ligt is anticipated at some point in February.

“Matta [De Ligt], he’s working his way back, taking good steps and improving,” Carrick said on Thursday. “It’s a little bit too soon at the moment but, hopefully, it won’t be too long [before De Ligt is back].”

Potential return date: Late February 2026

Mason Mount

Mason Mount missed out against Fulham last time out, due to a knock that he suffered in training. The England international is a major doubt to face Tottenham.

“Probably, Mason [will be available] sooner [than De Ligt],” Carrick said on Thursday. “He’s not too far away really. We’re hopeful it won’t be too long.”

Potential return date: Tuesday, February 10 – West Ham (A)

Patrick Dorgu

Patrick Dorgu had been in inspired form for United before injuring his hamstring injury against Arsenal – and now the Denmark international is facing at least another two months on the side-lines.

“Pat, unfortunately, he’s going to be out for a period of time. We’re still working through how long that’s going to be,” Carrick said last Friday. We’ll have to see, it’s disappointing, he’s had such a big couple of weeks, Pat.

“We weren’t sure whether it was a little bit of cramp or whether it was something a little bit more serious and, at the moment, it looks a little bit more on the serious note.

“So, it’ll be a few weeks for that. How many weeks? We’ll have to wait and see. So, that’s disappointing for all of us really, and for Pat, he’s in such a good place but, unfortunately, it is part of football and it’s something we’ve got to work through and get him back as soon as we can.”

Possible return date: April 2026


Why Shea Lacey and Chido Obi have not been named in Man United 23-man squad


Manchester United have confirmed their 23-man squad for the remainder of the Premier League season after the January transfer window closed.

Manchester United youngsters, including Shea Lacey, Jack Fletcher and Chido Obi, will be eligible to play for the Reds between now and the end of the season despite not being named in Michael Carrick’s 23-man squad for the remainder of the Premier League campaign. Clubs in the top flight have to submit two squads to the league during a season.

The first squad list is submitted at the end of the summer transfer window to allow new signings to be eligible for their clubs. United and the other 19 teams get an opportunity to update their list at the end of the January transfer window.

This allows players who may have returned from loan spells or have been signed by clubs to be registered for the Premier League. United have confirmed their squad list this afternoon, which is unchanged from the one in September.

Try MEN Premium NOW for just £1

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

United’s transfer business was minimal with no new faces joining in the mid-season window. Eagle-eyed supporters may notice that while the likes of Bruno Fernandes and Bryan Mbeumo are registered, promising young talents like Lacey and Fletcher are not on the list. This is because clubs do not need to register players who are under 21.

Those players are named in an academy squad list and are eligible to play for United should Carrick wish to give them their chance.

23-man squad list:

Goalkeepers

Bayindir, Heaton, Lammens

Defenders

Dalot, De Ligt, Dorgu, Heaven, Maguire, Malacia, Martinez, Mazraoui, Shaw, Yoro

Midfielders

Casemiro, Fernandes, Mainoo, Mount, Ugarte

Forwards

Amad, Cunha, Mbeumo, Sesko, Zirkzee

Content cannot be displayed without consent


Ruben Amorim does Michael Carrick favour as Man Utd ace Kobbie Mainoo called out


Ruben Amorim and Kobbie Mainoo have both been in the news regarding Manchester United as Michael Carrick looks ahead to his next game as boss

Manchester United will turn their attention to Tottenham at Old Trafford on Saturday as Michael Carrick bids to maintain his 100% record. United ended the winter transfer window quietly, allowing several squad players to depart on loan whilst maintaining their core group.

Carrick has provided a welcome change since returning to the club, winning all three matches so far. Tough encounters against rivals Manchester City and Arsenal both delivered three points, and a stoppage-time winner against Fulham ensured the interim manager kept his unblemished start.

Up next is Tottenham at home as Thomas Frank’s team seek to capitalise on their own impressive result against City last weekend. Victory over Spurs would see United further strengthen their top-four ambitions and narrow the deficit on Aston Villa, who face Bournemouth later in the day.

With the weekend fixtures fast approaching, Manchester Evening News has shared the latest developments emerging from the Theatre of Dreams.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Ruben Amorim decision

Ruben Amorim has indirectly shown serious respect for Carrick by delaying any explanation of his United tenure until the season ends. After a 1-1 draw with Leeds United in January, the Portuguese boss was sacked following 14 months at the helm.

Carrick was appointed as interim manager, with many demanding to hear Amorim’s version of events straight after his exit. Now, a source has revealed to the Daily Mail that the 41-year-old intends to hold off until the summer before speaking publicly.

The report also indicates that this choice was made to avoid disrupting the remainder of Carrick’s spell with the club. The temporary manager will likely welcome this approach as he seeks to maintain United’s excellent run of results.

Kobbie Mainoo called out

Fulham’s Alex Iwobi has singled out Kobbie Mainoo after sustaining a hand injury during an intense encounter on Sunday. The midfielder has experienced a revival in form under Carrick, featuring in all three Premier League matches and covering more distance than any other player.

This stands in sharp contrast to his time under Amorim, as he was kept on the substitutes’ bench for most of his reign. And it appears that Iwobi is still experiencing the consequences of his battle with the England international from their meeting last weekend.

In his recent YouTube video, the midfielder said: “Shout out Kobbie Mainoo but Kobbie man.. you absolutely finished my hand. This guy has Ghanaian strength!”

Content cannot be displayed without consent

Iwobi displayed his right hand during his praise of Mainoo, which had his ring and little finger taped together. It remains unclear how this injury occurred, but the Fulham star’s remarks suggest the pair engaged in a physical contest in which Iwobi evidently came off worse.

Just last month, a loan move away from United appeared the most probable next step for Mainoo after Amorim had given him just over 200 minutes of Premier League football this season. But that has all changed with the return of Carrick, who has demonstrated clear confidence in the England star from the outset – with a contract extension now seemingly on offer as well.