Toronto’s donor-funded consumption sites bracing for fallout of Ontario funding cuts | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] As the Ontario government cuts funding for seven supervised drug consumption sites in the province, workers at three remaining sites in Toronto that don’t rely on provincial funding say they’re worried the move will further strain their resources and lead to more overdoses and open drug use across the city. The province said Monday it will […]
Shoppers president met health minister as Ontario expanded prescription powers | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] At the beginning of 2023, Ontario officially moved forward with a plan to allow pharmacists to prescribe medicine for common ailments like hay fever, cold sores and acid reflux. A new system ushered in by the Ford government paid pharmacists a $19 assessment fee for each consultation and gave them powers to make decisions […]
New provincial offence for public drug use gives officers ‘more options,’ police say | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Law enforcement officials hope new provincial offences pushed through by the Ford government last year will give them more options to deal with public drug use as major cities struggle with enforcement. As part of its Safer Municipalities Act last year, Ontario began the process of creating a provincial offence for people using illegal […]
Premier Doug Ford heaps praise on gun owner who shot intruder at Vaughan home | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Ontario Premier Doug Ford has heaped praise on a homeowner who shot an intruder in Vaughan, suggesting he should have “shot him a couple more times.” It was just before 1 a.m. on Tuesday when York Regional Police say they responded to reports of a shooting at a home around Carville Woods Circle and […]
Critics say Ford is ‘flooding the zone’ to distract from transparency controversy | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Critics in Ontario say a flurry of government announcements on justice, alcohol and roads is designed to distract from sweeping changes the Progressive Conservatives are planning to apply to the province’s transparency laws. On Friday morning, Minister of Public and Business Service Delivery and Procurement Stephen Crawford announced the government would clamp down on […]
Ontario expanding bring-your-own-booze rules to include festivals | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Descrease article font size Increase article font size The Ford government says it plans to expand tailgate permits to let people bring and drink their own alcohol at certain events, including some movie screenings and farmers’ markets. The province announced the move on Tuesday afternoon, suggesting it would drive local tourism and economic growth […]
Ford government planning to let solo drivers use HOV lanes outside rush hour | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Descrease article font size Increase article font size The Ford government says it will amend the regulations governing Ontario’s highways to effectively abolish high-occupancy vehicle lanes during off-peak travel times. Currently, HOV lanes in Ontario can’t be used by anyone with fewer than two people in their vehicle, a measure designed to encourage car […]
Ford government silent on cost of fighting release of premier’s cellphone records | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] The Ford government appears to be silent on how much its years-long battle to protect the premier’s cellphone records from release has cost the taxpayer, as it moves to change the law and potentially nullify its latest legal defeat. Since 2022, provincial lawyers have worked untold hours to block Global News’ attempts to access […]
Ontario records consecutive months of improving housing starts | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Descrease article font size Increase article font size Homebuilding in Ontario is showing early signs of recovery ahead of the spring construction season, potentially beginning to reverse years of decline. New data released by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) shows housing starts in the province increased year-over-year for the second month in […]
Ontario’s solicitor general breaks silence on police corruption investigation | Globalnews.ca
[ad_1] Ontario’s solicitor general has broken his silence on the arrest of seven serving Toronto police officers, weeks after the results of a massive anti-corruption probe were released. Dubbed Project South, a York Regional Police investigation into organized crime led to the arrest of seven Toronto police officers, spreading to Peel Region, where three officers were suspended. […]