Thala for a reason? Shivam Dube credits ‘Mahi bhai’ after match-winning performance against the Netherlands | Cricket News – The Times of India


Thala for a reason? Shivam Dube credits ‘Mahi bhai’ after match-winning performance against the Netherlands | Cricket News – The Times of India

Shivam Dube said guidance from former India captain MS Dhoni helped shape his batting approach after he played a match-winning 67-run knock in the last group-stage match of the T20 World Cup against Netherlands at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Wednesday.Dube said he had struggled against pace bowling early in his career, but advice from Dhoni on strike rotation and controlled intent helped him improve in pressure situations.

T20 World Cup | Shivam Dube press conference after India beat Netherlands

“When I first came into the IPL, I struggled against fast bowlers and wasn’t striking the ball cleanly. I realised that if I want to dominate at this level and I have the power, I needed to work on that aspect. I put in significant effort during the off-season. Mahi bhai told me that it’s not necessary to hit sixes every time. Boundaries and strike rotation are equally important.“That clarity has helped me. If I get a good ball, I look for a boundary or rotate strike. In the death overs, I will naturally go harder, but early in the innings, my focus is on smart intent,” Dube told Jio Hotstar, as cited by news agency IANS.Speaking about pressure situations, Dube said his focus is on batting according to the match scenario and staying till the end if required.“I don’t feel pressure; I focus on the situation. If wickets fall, my responsibility is to bat deep. If I stay till the end, I know I can add 10–15 crucial runs in the final over. I avoid taking unnecessary risks in the middle overs. If the situation demands stability, I rotate strike. If the platform is set, I’m ready to attack from the first ball,” he said.Dube walked in to bat when India were 69 for 3 after nine overs and stabilised the innings with a 66-run knock off 31 balls.He also contributed with the ball, taking two wickets for 35 runs in three overs. For his all-round performance, he was named player of the match.


Inside Story: ‘Move on’ – How BCCI nudged MS Dhoni to quit captaincy and hand over to Virat Kohli | Cricket News – The Times of India


Inside Story: ‘Move on’ – How BCCI nudged MS Dhoni to quit captaincy and hand over to Virat Kohli | Cricket News – The Times of India
MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli (Getty Images)

The captaincy handover from Rohit Sharma to Shubman Gill in 2025 sparked plenty of debate in Indian cricket. Nearly eight years earlier, a similar shift had taken place when MS Dhoni made way for Virat Kohli as India’s full-time captain across formats in 2017.Dhoni had already stepped down as Test captain in 2014, but 2017 marked the complete transition. It has now come to light that the move was initiated by the Board of Control for Cricket in India selection committee, who informed Dhoni of their intention to make a change. He was also asked to formally communicate his decision via email.

T20 World Cup: Salman Ali Agha press conference ahead of India vs Pakistan

Former selector Jatin Paranjpe, speaking on The Great Indian Cricket Show, recalled how he and then chief selector MSK Prasad approached Dhoni about the matter.“Mahi (Dhoni) was batting. He kept batting for an hour, and MSK and I were just looking at each other. We had prepared how to tell him in the most respectful way. So we went to him and said, ‘You know, Mahi, I think it’s the right time to move on’,” Paranjpe said.According to Paranjpe, Dhoni accepted the proposal without resistance.“He told MSK, ‘Anna, this is the perfect decision. Let me know what you want from me’. MSK told him that he will have to put it in writing that you are ready to move on. He said, ‘Alright, I will do it’.”“Late at night, we received an email: ‘I would like to step down’. We had to make this decision. We were criticised for it as well, but these are the tough decisions that you have to take,” he added.Paranjpe further revealed that Dhoni assured complete support to Kohli.“He also said, ‘Don’t worry. I will work completely with Virat. He is like my brother. I will do everything that is required of me for him. Whatever experience I have, I will give it to him. And we’ll make a good team’,” Paranjpe shared.At the time, Dhoni was 35 and had already achieved everything in white-ball cricket, guiding India to the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007, the ODI World Cup in 2011 and the Champions Trophy in 2013.


Death of a salesman, birth of a cricketer: Usman Tariq quit his day job to become Pakistan’s X-factor | Cricket News – The Times of India


Death of a salesman, birth of a cricketer: Usman Tariq quit his day job to become Pakistan’s X-factor | Cricket News – The Times of India
Pakistan’s Usman Tariq (AP Photo)

CHENNAI: If the online troll army is getting worried about Pakistan’s mystery slinger spinner Usman Tariq ahead of India’s blockbuster clash against the neighbours, they have MS Dhoni to blame.Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!Apparently, Tariq, once a sales-man working in the UAE, changed the course of his life when he decided to escape the humdrum and chase his dream when he watched ‘MS Dhoni, The Untold Story’.Inspired by the Indian legend’s moment of truth in the film, when he left his job in Kharagpur as ticket-collector to become a full-time cricketer, Tariq quit his Dubai job and returned to Paki-stan. He worked on his game, got his opportunities in franchise leagues across the world, and in captain Salman Ali Agha’s words, is now “Pakistan’s X-factor”.

T20 World Cup | Sahibzada Farhan on India vs Pakistan matches: ‘Not one-sided’

It’s Tariq’s stop-start run-up and the slinging delivery action that have caused irritation among teams, IPL’s new millionaire Cameron Green adding fuel to the fire after being unable to deal with Tariq in the recently-con-cluded ODI series.Suddenly, Tariq’s action has become the talking point and after the USA struggled against him on Tuesday, the decibels seem to have risen a bit. Tariq took 3-27, taking the steam out of the USA chase, and was the fulcrum of the spin quintet, which includes part-timer Saim Ayub too.It’s the traditionally slow Pre-madasa track, where Pakistan play India next, that’s leading to the cause for worry. Tariq, who stops before delivering, is very slow through the air and it sometimes seems that the ball wouldn’t reach the bat. The batter has to create all the momentum to hit him.While his slowness is par for the course because of the quirkiness of the action, the difficulty for the batter arises when one ball suddenly comes a little faster and turns. There are voices in the cricket world which insist that Tariq chucks that delivery and that he shouldn’t be allowed to play.But the mystery spinner has found an ally from an unusual quarter in the form of the master of the craft of off-spin, R Ashwin, who posted his support on X.Eminent batting coach and former India player WV Raman, too, believes Tariq isn’t chucking, but India shouldn’t find it difficult to play him. “With a round-arm ac-tion it is very difficult to chuck … It is the quirkiness of Tariq’s ac-tion that is creating the problem. Batters are used to a rhythm where everything keeps happening in one go. When suddenly there is a pause, you start thinking about what’s go-ing on,” Raman told TOI.“But Indian batters are good enough to deal with this. Kedar Jadhav and Riyan Parag bowl like that from time to time, so it’s not that they are not used to it,” he said. Over the next few days, the chat-ter will continue. The Indian play-ers are superb players of spin bowl-ing, somebody like Shivam Dube being a designated spin-hitter. Pakistan will have a few more spin-ners in their XI in the form of Mo-hammed Nawaz, Abrar Ahmed and Shadab Khan and India will need all their skill to deal with the threat, led by Tariq.