Liberals’ plan for defence industry includes pledge of 125K jobs – National | Globalnews.ca


The Liberal government is making sweeping changes to the way it approaches supporting the domestic defence industry, as Canada looks to transition away from overreliance on the United States for military gear.

Liberals’ plan for defence industry includes pledge of 125K jobs – National | Globalnews.ca

“In this uncertain world, it is more important than ever that Canada possess the capacity to sustain its own defence and safeguard its own sovereignty,” reads the defence-industrial strategy Ottawa is set to release this week.

“This is especially important when it comes to protecting Canada’s Arctic sovereignty and promoting a secure North.”

The government was expected to announce its strategy last week, but Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended his travel due to a mass-shooting in B.C. and pushed the announcement to later this week. Media outlets on Sunday published the details of the document officials shared with journalists ahead of its official launch.

Story continues below advertisement

The $6.6-billion strategy aims to help small and medium-sized Canadian businesses break into the defence industry and reorient spending decisions to prioritize equipment made in Canada, instead of relying on foreign military contractors such as American firms.

The document claims it will spur 125,000 jobs over a decade. According to a government press release last December, the Canadian defence industry “supports” more than 81,000 jobs.

The strategy promises to restructure how Ottawa takes into consideration benefits to the Canadian economy when it awards contracts, known as an industrial technological benefit policy.

Canada intends to partner with “Canadian champions” that actually deliver within stated budgets and timelines, in exchange for benefits such as research funding, export promotion, financing and access to testing infrastructure.


Click to play video: 'BC premier David Eby pitches Vancouver as home for global defence bank'


BC premier David Eby pitches Vancouver as home for global defence bank


“They will be expected to deliver capability on time and on budget and support national sovereignty through their Canadian supply chains, while also ensuring continued value for money,” the document reads.

Story continues below advertisement

It does not specify how Ottawa will ensure companies do not fall into habits of costly overruns.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

The document calls for increasing defence-procurement contracts awarded to Canadian firms from roughly half to 70 per cent of acquisitions, in an aim to bolster Canadian manufacturing sectors being hit hard by U.S. tariffs.

The strategy aims to “increase Canada’s defence exports by 50 per cent” and “increase total Canadian defence industry revenues by more than 240 per cent.”

This all comes as the federal government moves to quickly ramp up defence spending to meet its NATO commitments, something that the entire alliance is working on after years of sabre-rattling from U.S. President Donald Trump.

The document says Canada needs “reliable infrastructure” in the north and enough autonomy to navigate a world where “imperial conquest” could return just as “old alliances” are under pressure — though it says Canada is committed to a strong defence relationship with the U.S.

The strategy does not mention China and has one mention of Russia undermining the global order through its invasion of Ukraine. It says Canada wants to work more on the defence industry with the European Union, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea.


Click to play video: 'New ‘Buy Canadian’ procurement rules kick in amid US trade war'


New ‘Buy Canadian’ procurement rules kick in amid US trade war


To that end, Canada will deploy more trade commissioners and participate in military-industrial trade fairs, and try shoring up a domestic supply chain in areas like aerospace, drones, ammunition and sensors.

Story continues below advertisement

The strategy calls for building equipment at home when possible, with a second preference of creating material with allies and a third of buying from abroad.

“The rise of new powers, increasing protectionism, and shifting dynamics in international relations have also underlined the necessity of thinking differently about the intersection of Canadian sovereignty, defence needs, and economic development,” the document reads.

The strategy was rumoured for release early last fall, then delivery was publicly promised by Christmas, only for Ottawa to blow past its own deadline by more than a month.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press


Trump’s emotional call to parents of fallen Staten Island Army hero Michael Ollis to reveal their son will receive Medal of Honor



President Trump had an emotional phone call with the parents of Staten Island native and Army Staff Sgt. Michael Ollis to inform them that their son would be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroically sacrificing his life in Afghanistan over a decade ago.

Robert and Linda Ollis were in the kitchen of their Staten Island home on Monday when the commander in chief greeted the couple on the phone and asked how they were holding up, according to a video posted on the SSG Michael Ollis Freedom Foundation Facebook page.

“We’re very nervous,” Robert said on speakerphone.

“You should be, because your son is going to get the highest honor that you can have,” Trump shared. “There is no higher honor than the Congressional Medal of Honor.”

The soldier’s father’s eyes lit up at the announcement, his expression shifting into a proud smile.

“He’s looking down at you right now, he’s saying, ‘Well, my mom and dad are handling this pretty well,’” Trump said of their son.

Ollis was just 24 years old, serving as an Army infantryman, when he was killed in Afghanistan on Aug. 28, 2013, during a Taliban attack on Forward Operating Base Ghazni.

In the chaos of the attack, Ollis threw himself between a suicide bomber and a Polish officer, absorbing the deadly blast and laying down his life in an act of pure selflessness.

Witnesses said his actions likely protected more than 40 service members and civilians on the base.

Staff Sgt. Michael Ollis was killed in Afghanistan in 2013 after shielding a Polish Army officer from a suicide bomber with his own body. I Have Your Back / Facebook
Ollis’ actions likely protected more than 40 service members and civilians on the base during the attack. White
Ollis was only 24 years old when he was killed. HANDOUT

Ollis was initially awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army’s second-highest combat award, before efforts began to elevate the recognition to the Medal of Honor, according to Military Times.

After years of advocacy by his family, veteran groups, elected officials — most notably Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-NY — and the Staten Island community, Trump approved the nation’s highest military honor for Ollis.

The Medal of Honor is reserved only for service members who go above and beyond the call of duty by showing remarkable valor and selflessness in the heat of battle, at the risk of their own lives.

The Medal is awarded after cases are rigorously reviewed, a process that requires detailed battlefield reports, at least two sworn eyewitness accounts, and additional corroborating evidence.

Ollis parents follow behind his casket at Our Lady Queen of Peace in Staten Island, NY, on Sept. 14, 2013. White
The Staten Island native was initially awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army’s second-highest combat award, before efforts began to elevate the recognition to the Medal of Honor. White

The couple expressed deep gratitude to the president for approving the Medal of Honor, which has been awarded posthumously 618 times, according to the Army.

“Thank you so much, Mr. President. You have no idea the happiness we have,” Robert shared.

“Thank you for facilitating this! This is so wonderful,” Linda said, adding that the family had advocated for their son to receive the honor for years and reached out to countless people before he finally approved it.

Trump also applauded the parents for their tireless work to keep their son’s story alive for more than a decade.

President Trump called Ollis’ parents at their Staten Island home on Monday to inform them of the news. REUTERS

“Otherwise, how are we going to know, right? You know, people don’t know. So I think that’s fantastic,” Trump said.

Trump then told the pair that they would head to the White House for the ceremony, where a “few” recipients would also receive the honor, noting that they were “all brave people.” The president did not clarify whom he was referring to.

“I read what your son did, and it’s — I wouldn’t do it, Linda,” Trump told Ollis’ mother about her son’s bravery.

“I’m not brave enough either,” Linda said with a soft laugh.

“Neither am I. Even though I’m a Vietnam Vet, I still wouldn’t have done it,” Robert added.

Trump encouraged them to gather the family and “go celebrate,” reminding them their son would be proud before ending the call.