Airlines start canceling flights ahead of another monster winter storm on the East Coast


Travelers look at a flight status board as flights are delayed and cancelled following a significant winter storm at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Arlington, Virginia, January 26, 2026.

Saul Loeb | Afp | Getty Images

U.S. airlines began canceling Sunday flights and waiving cancellation and change fees for airports from Virginia to Maine ahead of another massive winter storm on the East Coast, set to once again put carriers to the test at the tail-end of winter break.

Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and Spirit Airlines waived fees and fare differences for passengers if they can travel as late as Feb. 26. Southwest Airlines said customers are eligible for a change without paying a difference in fare if they can rebook to fly or fly standby within two weeks.

The storm could bring between 13 and 18 inches of snow to parts of southern Connecticut and southeast New York, as well as winds of up to 55 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. The blizzard warning is set to begin at 6 a.m. ET Sunday.

As of 4:30 pm ET Saturday, close to 400 U.S. flights were canceled, according to FlightAware. Delta had the most, with 174 cancellations or 5% of its mainline schedule. New York airports, which make up a major Delta hub, were the most affected by Sunday’s disruptions.

The National Weather Service raised its initial assessment of the potential severity of a storm. The weather service now says 1 to 2 feet (about 30 to 61 centimeters) of snow is possible in many areas. Blizzard warnings were also issued for New York City, Long Island, southern Connecticut and coastal communities in New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

The weather service warned that the storm’s steady winds of 25 to 35 mph (40 to 56 kph) would “make travel dangerous, if not impossible.”

Winter Storm Fern in January, followed by bitter cold, caused mass travel disruptions across a large swath of the U.S.

Read more CNBC airline news

American Airlines had struggled to recover, drawing harsh criticism from flight crews, some of whom were stranded and had to sleep at airports, heightening tension between frontline employees and the company’s CEO, Robert Isom.

The storm cost American between $150 million and $200 million in revenue, the carrier said last month on an earnings call.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


‘Crap’: Stephen Colbert blasts CBS for denying it blocked James Talarico interview from air


“Late Show” host Stephen Colbert on Tuesday night called CBS’s denial of his claim that it blocked the broadcast of his interview with Texas state Rep. James Talarico “crap” — and urged the network and its parent, Paramount Skydance, to stand up to the “bullies” in the Trump administration.

Colbert’s broadside came hours after CBS issued a statement on the controversy.

The host, whose show will end in May as it was canceled by CBS, held up a printed copy of the network’s statement about Talarico’s interview during his show Tuesday night and said, “I don’t even know what to do with this crap.”

He then pulled a plastic doggy bag from behind his desk, picked up the statement, tied a knot, and mimed throwing it away before cutting to commercial.

The controversy is the latest flap to spark speculation that CBS is currying favor with the Trump administration as Paramount makes a hostile tender bid for Warner Bros Discovery. If WBD’s shareholders accept Paramount’s bid, the federal government regulators would need to sign off on the deal.

Colbert had invited Talarico, who is running in the Democratic primary for a U.S. Senate seat from Texas, to appear on the “Late Show” for Monday night’s broadcast.

But early in that night’s show, Colbert said to his studio audience that CBS’ lawyers had told him “in no uncertain terms … that we could not have him on the broadcast.”

Colbert said the lawyers wanted to avoid running afoul of new guidance by the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr that suggests broadcast talk shows could be required to abide by the so-called equal time provision requiring broadcasters to give political candidates equal coverage if their opponents appear on air.

Colbert noted that he had put Talarico’s interview on the “Late Show” YouTube channel — the video has been seen more than 4.4 million times.

CBS, in its statement on Tuesday afternoon, denied Colbert’s main allegation that it had barred the interview from being aired.

“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Rep. James Talarico,” the network said.

“The show was provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett [D-Texas], and presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be fulfilled,” CBS said.

Colbert scoffed at the statement during Tuesday’s show.

“They know damn well that every word of my script last night was approved by CBS lawyers who, for the record, approved every script that goes on the air,” Colbert said.

“In fact, between the monologue I did last night, and before I did the second act talking about this issue, I had to go backstage,” he said.

“I got called backstage to get more notes from these lawyers. Something that had never, ever happened before, and they told us the language they wanted me to use to describe that equal time exception, and I used that language,” Colbert said. “So I don’t know what this is about.”

Colbert went on to say that he wasn’t “mad” at the network and does not want an “adversarial relationship.”

“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” he said.

“Come on. You’re Paramount. No, no, no, you’re more than that. You’re Paramount+,” Colbert cracked. “And for the lawyers to release this [statement] without even talking to me is really surprising.”

The host also noted that there has long been “a very famous exception to” the equal time rule, “and that exception included talk shows, interviews with politicians.”

“We looked, and we can’t find one example of this rule being enforced for any talk show interview, not only for my entire late-night career, but for anyone’s late-night career, going back to the 1960s,” he said.

Colbert said that Carr has “not gotten rid of” that exception for talk-show hosts “yet.”

“But CBS generously did it for him and told me, unilaterally, that I had to abide by the equal time rules, something I have never been asked to do for an interview in the 20 years of this job,” he added.

“Now, that decision, I want to be clear, is their right, just like I have the right to talk about their decision on air last night,” Colbert said.

Paramount did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

Early voting in the Texas Democratic primary began Tuesday. Talarico is in a close contest against Rep. Jasmine Crockett. The winner will face the victor of the Republican primary between Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Democrats have not won a statewide race in Texas since 1994.


American Airlines flight attendants picket as CEO tries to calm frustrated employees


American Airlines flight attendants picket as CEO tries to calm frustrated employees

American Airlines flight attendants’ union held a picket outside the company’s headquarters on Thursday pushing for new leadership at the carrier, which has lagged rivals Delta Air Lines and United Airlines in profitability and punctuality.

Ahead of the picket on Wednesday night, American CEO Robert Isom sought to calm frustrated employees and listed improvements the carrier expects this year, including a jump in profits as well as improvements to schedules and new cabins.

“We look forward to working with all of you to make it happen,” Isom said in a video message filmed at the airline’s Fort Worth, Texas headquarters.

The picket came days after the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, representing American’s 28,000 cabin crew members, issued a vote of no confidence in Isom, which the union said was its first such move. The chief executive was also criticized by the pilots’ union, which sought a meeting with the airline’s board, of which Isom is a member, to discuss the problems. Unions for pilots, flight attendants and mechanics have all recently said the company needs to do better to improve reliability and financial results.

The protest is an unusual move outside of contract negotiations.

The signals from the labor groups have increased pressure on Isom, who took the helm nearly four years ago, and American’s leadership team, which is investing in cabin upgrades, bigger airport lounges and other on-board products.

Last month, American forecast stronger revenue and profits for 2026 and said it expects to report adjusted earnings per share of as much as $2.70, up from an adjusted 36 cents last year.

American is in the middle of a revamp that it hopes will help revive profits with more modern airplane cabins that command higher fares, which is especially important as coach-class fares have dropped. It has also built bigger lounges and added free Wi-Fi for customers.

For the first 11 months of the year, American ranked eighth in punctuality with a 73.7% on-time rate, according to the Department of Transportation. It is now adjusting its schedules, including at its massive Dallas-Fort Worth International hub where it is spreading out flights more throughout the day.

But it has a long way to go. In 2025, American posted net income of $111 million compared with Delta’s $5 billion and more than $3.3 billion from United. The lower profits meant a smaller profit-sharing pool for employees, which staff members have complained about.

In a town hall with employees last month, Isom noted that American’s pilots, flight attendants and other groups have recently sealed new labor contracts that have meant higher wages compared with their counterparts at rival United. But he said he was disappointed by the profit-sharing.

The flight attendants have also said they were frustrated with American’s struggles to recover from major winter storms, which left some crew members without a place to sleep.

Picketing crew members on Thursday carried signs that said “everything froze, AA melted down,” referring to the disruptions, and “Failed Ops=Failed CEO,” nodding to the carrier’s operation.

“This airline is headed down a path that puts our careers at risk,” the flight attendants’ union said in a notice about the picket. “Now is the time for Flight Attendants to stand together and show up in protest. American Airlines needs real accountability, decisive action, and leadership that will put this airline back on a competitive path.”

Isom is also trying not only to win support of frontline crews but also to rally higher-ups. Last week, at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, Isom spoke to about 6,000 managers about the years ahead as the airline turns 100.

“We’ve filled an entire Major League Baseball field with this proud and talented team. The best in the industry,” he said, according to a transcript of his remarks, which were seen by CNBC. “It’s incumbent on all of us to build on our progress … and to ensure that we grow profitability so American is around for the next 100 years.”

Read more CNBC airline news