U.S. says Tehran would be ‘very wise’ to make a deal as Russia, Iran hold naval drills


U.S. President Donald Trump disembarks Air Force One at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., Feb. 13, 2026.

Elizabeth Frantz | Reuters

The Trump administration has warned it would be “very wise” for Iran to make a deal, amid reports the White House is considering fresh military action against Tehran as soon as this weekend.

It comes shortly after Vice President JD Vance accused Iran of failing to address core U.S. demands during nuclear talks in Switzerland this week. Iran’s foreign minister previously reported progress in the talks, saying the two countries had reached an understanding over the “guiding principles” for the negotiations.

Speaking at a news briefing Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said there were “many reasons and arguments that once could make for a strike against Iran,” noting that the two countries remain “very far apart” on some issues.

The U.S. president had a “very successful” operation last June, Leavitt said, when U.S. stealth bombers struck three Iranian nuclear facilities as part of “Operation Midnight Hammer.”

U.S. says Tehran would be ‘very wise’ to make a deal as Russia, Iran hold naval drills

“The president has always been very clear though with respect to Iran or any country around the world, diplomacy is always his first option. And Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and this administration,” Leavitt said.

The White House has said it still hopes to reach a diplomatic resolution over Tehran’s nuclear program, although U.S. media has reported that the military could be prepared to strike Iran as early as the weekend.

‘Extremely dangerous’ situation

Both the U.S. and Iran have increased military activity in the oil-producing Middle East region in recent weeks.

The U.S., for its part, has built up a significant presence of air and naval assets, while Iran has conducted military drills in the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz and announced joint naval drills with Russia in the Sea of Oman.

Laura James, Middle East senior analyst at Oxford Analytica, described the current situation as “extremely dangerous,” with the U.S. and Iran “certainly closer” to an outright conflict than last week.

Never underestimate President Trump's ability to change his mind: Analyst

“The thing that is now a particular concern over the past 24 hours is the very rapid pace at which the United States is reinforcing its air power in the region. That, of course, can still be signalling and pressure for a particular diplomatic outcome,” James told CNBC’s “Access Middle East” on Thursday.

“But as more and more planes comes in and more and more equipment comes in, that signalling gets more and more expensive. And therefore, the payoff you want for it in diplomatic terms has to be larger — and there is simply no sign Tehran can offer the absolute minimum that Washington is likely to demand,” she added.

Oil prices

Energy market participants have been closely watching the outcome of the U.S.-Iran talks in Geneva, particularly as it relates to the Strait of Hormuz, a major international waterway that Iran partially closed on Tuesday citing “security precautions.”

Located in the gulf between Oman and Iran, the Strait of Hormuz is recognized as one of the world’s most important oil choke points.

Iranian military personnel take part in an exercise titled ‘Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz’, launched by the Naval Forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, is being carried out in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz on February 16, 2026.

Anadolu | Anadolu | Getty Images

About 13 million barrels per day of crude oil transited the Strait of Hormuz in 2025, accounting for roughly 31% of global seaborne crude flows, data provided by market intelligence firm Kpler showed.

Oil prices were higher on Thursday, extending gains after settling up more than 4% in the previous session.

International benchmark Brent crude futures with April delivery rose 1.5% to $71.41 per barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures with March delivery stood 1.7% higher at $66.27.

— CNBC’s Lee Ying Shan contributed to this report.


Some European policymakers welcome U.S. Secretary of State Rubio’s warm words, others remain cautious


15 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: The logo of the Munich Security Conference can be seen on the chairs in the main hall. Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa (Photo by Sven Hoppe/picture alliance via Getty Images)

Picture Alliance | Picture Alliance | Getty Images

Many European policymakers appear to still be smarting from U.S. Vice President JD Vance’s tough words about the region at last year’s Munich Security Conference.

So, it’s perhaps not too surprising that U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s comments on Saturday at this year’s event underscoring the U.S. and Europe’s common heritage, goals and challenges have come as something of a relief in European capitals.

“[Rubio] delivered a speech which still assured us that we stand together in this partnership between Europe and the United States,” German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul told CNBC in an interview on the sidelines of the conference. “Of course, there are some questions which we will have to discuss, but in the end of the day, his message was clear that we were so successful in the past, and we should do the job once again with new threats, with new tests in the 21st century.”

On Saturday, Rubio said the U.S. has no intention of abandoning its deep alliance with Europe and wants the region to succeed.

“We want Europe to be strong,” he told the gathering of defense and security officials in the German city. “We believe that Europe must survive, because the two great wars of the last century serve, for us, as history’s great reminder, that ultimately, our destiny is, and will always be, intertwined with yours.”

Contrast that to Vance’s message to the same crowd last year, when he spoke of the “retreat of Europe from some of its most fundamental values, values shared with the United States of America.” He lambasted his audience about the health of their democracies, their migration policies and freedom of speech.

While Rubio’s tone might have been more conciliatory than Vance’s, the underlying issues remained the same, as some conference attendees acknowledged.

Some European policymakers welcome U.S. Secretary of State Rubio’s warm words, others remain cautious

“Of course, there were some issues he raised. We would answer differently when it comes to the migration problem, when it comes, of course, to question how we organize our legal framework here in Europe with regard to the digital services. And of course, also with the question of freedom of speech and so,” Wadephul said.

U.S. President Donald Trump has frequently criticized Europe for its open migration policies, for being too reliant on the U.S. for its security and has pushed NATO allies to boost defense spending. His pursuit of ownership of Greenland, a Danish territory, has also rattled European leaders in recent months.

“The message we heard (from Rubio) is that America and Europe are intertwined, they have been in the past and will be in the future,” the EU’s chief diplomat, Kaja Kallas, said at a panel discussion on Sunday. “I think this is important. It is also clear that we don’t see eye-to-eye in all the issues and that this will remain the case. But I think we can work from there.”

‘Europe bashing’

A recurring theme at this year’s event has been an earnest investigation into how Europe can stand on its own two feet, militarily and economically, in the face of challenges from Russia and China while the U.S. seeks to rework the global post-war order it created.

While European leaders acknowledge they must become less dependent on the U.S.’s security umbrella and markets, some bristle at the Trump administration’s more confrontational approach compared to its predecessors.

“I think there were messages for us, and there were messages for the public in America, especially their constituents,” Kallas said. “For me, every time I hear this European bashing, it’s very in fashion right now, I’m thinking of what is the alternative?”

Kaja Kallas, vice president of the European Commission, at the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, on Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. Nuclear deterrence is set to be a hot topic at the conference. Photographer: Alex Kraus/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Others were even more critical of Rubio’s comments.

“To be frank, I think the fact that we have, for Europeans, [been] asked to comment on the speech by the Americans, is already part of the problem,” Benjamin Haddad, France’s Minister Delegate for Europe, said at the same panel.

“We should not either be relieved or shocked by this or that speech. And I think the worst lesson we could draw from this weekend is to say ‘I can cling to some love words I heard in part of his speech and push the snooze button.'”

He said Europe should “just focus on ourselves, focus on what we can control. Focus on our rearmaments, on the support for Ukraine, and the threat that Russia poses to all of our democracies. Focus on competitiveness.”

Wadephul told CNBC that work to become more independent is underway.

“But this is what we are doing on our own, and Europe has also learned that, of course, if you ask for more European sovereignty, you will receive it,” he said.

“And that also means that, of course, we are more independent than we were in the past. And of course, we are looking for new global partners in the world which are willing to work together with Europe, for instance, Japan, India, Brazil and so on. So this is, I would say, if you are looking to a new global order, this means we keep our alliances, but additionally, we have new global partners, and this is a good future for Europe.”