Nestle plans sale of ice cream business as fourth-quarter sales growth beats estimates


Nestle shares rose 3% Thursday after the maker of Nescafé and KitKat reported organic sales growth for the fourth quarter that beat analyst forecasts.

The closely watched organic growth rate came in at 4%, beating a FactSet consensus of 3.55%. For 2026, Nestle said it is targeting organic sales growth of 3% to 4%, along with an improvement in its underlying trading operating profit margin, which stood at 16.1% in 2025.

The Vevey, Switzerland-based company also announced it was planning to sell its remaining ice cream business to Haagen-Dazs owner Froneri, a joint venture by PAI and Nestle. 

In addition, Nestle said it started the formal process to shed its water business earlier in the first quarter, and expects the business, which holds brands such as Henniez and Perrier to be deconsolidated by 2027. 

Shares were last trading up 2.6% and the stock is around 2% so far this year.

Nestle plans sale of ice cream business as fourth-quarter sales growth beats estimates

The company, under its new leadership duo of CEO Philipp Navratil and Chairman Pablo Isla, a former Inditex executive, have been focusing on streamlining the sprawling consumer giant, after years of operational and share-price underperformance. 

“We are accelerating our strategy. We are focusing our portfolio on four businesses, led by our strongest brands, with prioritized resources and a simplified organization,” Navratil said in a statement.

The CEO later told analysts that the remaining ice cream business was “strong, but small and a distraction” for the company.

Nestle’s portfolio plans were “little changed and undramatic for now,” analysts at Jefferies said. They noted that there had been some anticipation and uncertainty ahead of the earnings report, but the CEO had left most key ambitions unchanged.

UBS wrote in a note that the results reflected early signs of progress while pointing to the strength of confectionery, beverages and petcare as being the biggest drivers of growth in the fourth quarter. 

An infant formula recall, which has also engulfed rival Danone and privately held Lactalis in France, has provided a stumbling block for restoring trust in the business.

Nestle said Thursday its organic growth guidance includes a negative 20 basis point impact from the recall and flagged 1.7 billion Swiss francs in restructuring items, mainly due to the recall. 


Figma stock jumps 16% as company sees AI monetization accelerating growth


Dylan Field, co-founder and chief executive officer of Figma, speaks during a Bloomberg Television interview outside of the New York Stock Exchange in New York on July 31, 2025.

Michael Nagle | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Figma shares jumped as much as 20% in extended trading on Wednesday after the design software maker reported robust results and quarterly guidance than Wall Street had predicted.

Here’s how the company did in comparison with LSEG consensus:

  • Earnings per share: 8 cents adjusted vs. 7 cents expected
  • Revenue: $303.8 million vs. $293.15 million expected

Figma’s revenue grew 40% year over year in the fourth quarter, according to a statement. The company had a net loss of $226.6 million, or 44 cents per share, compared with net income of $33.1 million, or 15 cents per share, in the fourth quarter of 2024.

Management called for $315 million to $317 million in first-quarter revenue, which implies 38% growth. Analysts polled by LSEG were expecting $292 million.

For 2026, Figma sees $100 million to $110 million in adjusted operating income on $1.366 billion to $1.374 billion in revenue, which would suggest 30% revenue growth. The LSEG revenue consensus was $1.29 billion.

Lately, investors have become more concerned that generative artificial intelligence products could weaken the growth prospects of software companies. As of Wednesday’s close, Figma shares were down about 35% year to date, while the iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector Exchange-Traded Fund has slipped 22%. The S&P 500 index has gained almost 1% in the same period.

“If you look at software, not only is it not going away. There’s going to be way more of it than ever before,” Figma’s co-founder and CEO, Dylan Field, said in a Wednesday interview. But he said the market is “potentially increasingly competitive.”

Figma stock jumps 16% as company sees AI monetization accelerating growth

The company, which went public in July, wants to ensure it can benefit as people turn to AI products for design. The Figma Make tool allows people to type in a few words and have AI models from Anthropic and Google interpret the information to craft app prototypes. More than half of customers spending over $100,000 in annualized revenue had people using Figma Make every week during the quarter, according to the statement.

Figma managed to lower the cost of running the Make service for end users by optimizing its computing infrastructure, Praveer Melwani, the company’s finance chief, said on a conference call with analysts. The company’s adjusted gross margin stayed put at 86%, despite that Figma Make weekly active users increased 70% from the third quarter.

Soon Figma will be bringing in more revenue from AI adoption. In March, it will start enforcing monthly AI credit limits for different types of account holders. Clients will pay based on monthly usage or sign up for AI credit subscriptions, according to a blog post from December.

“What we’ve observed is it tends to be a power law distribution, where a subset of users within an organization are receiving outsized value, and as such, are going over the projected limits that we intend to enforce,” Melwani said. “Now, our expectation is that that will continue to evolve.”

Also during the quarter, Figma announced a collaboration with ServiceNow to convert designs into applications for large companies to adopt.

“We were pleased to see positive commentary around both Figma Make and Figma Design, indicating increased adoption of AI workflows across Figma’s platform,” RBC analyst Rishi Jaluria, with the equivalent of a hold rating on the stock, wrote in a note to clients.

This is developing news. Please check back for updates.

WATCH: How the AI sell-off ripped through software

How the AI sell-off ripped through software


Pinterest stock sinks nearly 17% as tariffs hit earnings. Here’s what’s happening


Pinterest stock sinks nearly 17% as tariffs hit earnings. Here’s what’s happening

Pinterest shares closed nearly 17% lower on Friday, after the company cited tariff-related shocks in disappointing fourth-quarter earnings.

The social media company’s Q4 earnings came in below analysts’ expectations, with revenue of $1.32 billion compared with LSEG consensus estimates of $1.33 billion. Net income for the quarter plunged 85% to $277 million from $1.85 billion the prior year.

It also recorded $541.5 million in adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization, or EBIDTA, below the $550 million that analysts were projecting.

Pinterest expects first-quarter sales to be between $951 million and $971 million, which is also below analysts’ forecasts of $980 million.

CEO Bill Ready said the company “absorbed an exogenous shock this year related to tariffs” and was more exposed to reduced advertising spend from large retailers.

Pinterest also announced plans in January to lay off less than 15% of its workforce and cut back on office space, in a bid to go all in on AI. It said it’s “reallocating resources” to AI-focused teams and prioritizing “AI-powered products and capabilities.”

Stock Chart IconStock chart icon

BP shares fall 5% after oil major suspends share buyback plan

Pinterest one-day stock chart.

What analysts are saying

In a Friday note, Citi said it was downgrading shares of Pinterest from Buy to Neutral, “given more limited visibility from larger UCAN & EU advertisers due in part to tariffs and challenges across specific verticals,” such as home furnishing, the rebuilding of its go-to-market sales function as Pinterest broadens its advertiser base, and greater investments impacting margins.

Pinterest’s revenue performance is expected to continue to be “pressured near-term by macro-related headwinds,” such as tariffs and consumer spending, Goldman Sachs analysts said in a note on Friday.

But they added: “Despite these near-term headwinds, management remains optimistic around its long-term growth strategy centered around diversifying its advertiser base, automation, and performance-oriented objectives.

The analysts noted that user growth remains particularly strong amongst Gen Z users.

The company reported that its fourth-quarter global monthly active users jumped 12% year-over-year to 619 million, representing an all-time high. 

— CNBC’s Jonathan Vanian contributed to this report


Restaurant Brands earnings top estimates as international Burger King restaurants fuel sales growth


Restaurant Brands earnings top estimates as international Burger King restaurants fuel sales growth

Restaurant Brands International on Thursday reported quarterly earnings and revenue that topped expectations, fueled by strong international growth.

Here’s what the company reported for the period ended Dec. 31 compared with what Wall Street was expecting, based on a survey of analysts by LSEG:

  • Earnings per share: 96 cents adjusted vs. 95 cents expected
  • Revenue: $2.47 billion vs. $2.41 billion expected

Restaurant Brands reported fourth-quarter net income attributable to shareholders of $113 million, or 34 cents per share, down from $259 million, or 79 cents per share, a year earlier.

Excluding transaction costs, restructuring expenses and other items, the company reported adjusted earnings of 96 cents per share.

Net sales rose 7.4% to $2.47 billion. Stripping out currency fluctuations and sales from restaurants it plans to refranchise, Restaurant Brands’ organic revenue ticked up 6.5%.

The company’s same-store sales increased 3.1%, fueled by strong international growth.

Outside of the U.S. and Canada, Restaurant Brands’ same-store sales climbed 6.1%. International Burger King restaurants, which represents the bulk of the segment, saw same-store sales growth of 5.8%.

Analysts were projecting international same-store sales growth of just 3.7%, based on StreetAccount estimates.

And Restaurant Brands plans to keep growing its business abroad. In November, the company announced its plan to form a joint venture for Burger King China to accelerate expansion. Under the terms of the deal, which closed in late January, CPE, a Chinese alternative asset manager, owns roughly 83% of Burger King China. Restaurant Brands has retained a minority stake of about 17%, along with a seat on the board of directors.

Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons reported same-store sales growth of 2.9%, although Wall Street was projecting an increase of 3.8%, according to StreetAccount. Tim Hortons accounted for 46% of Restaurant Brands’ overall revenue during the quarter.

Burger King reported overall same-store sales growth of 2.7%, topping StreetAccount estimates of 2.4%.

Popeyes was the laggard of Restaurant Brands’ portfolio. Its same-store sales fell 4.8%, a steeper decline than the 2.4% decrease forecast by Wall Street.

But the company has plans to revive the embattled fried chicken chain. In November, Restaurant Brands tapped Burger King veteran Peter Perdue to lead the chain’s U.S. and Canadian business; last month, the company also named Popeyes veteran Matt Rubin as the chain’s latest chief marketing officer.

Restaurant Brands plans to share more of its ideas to grow the business at its investor day in Miami on Feb. 26.


Mercedes shares fall 5% after full-year earnings halve on tariffs, China competition


The Mercedes star, the brand logo of the vehicle manufacturer Mercedes-Benz, rotates on a building of a Mercedes-Benz car dealership.

Picture Alliance | Picture Alliance | Getty Images

German luxury car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz Group on Thursday reported a steep drop in full-year profit and warned of challenging times ahead, following a year marred by intense competition from Chinese rivals and global tariff costs.

The automaker posted full-year operating profit of 5.8 billion euros ($6.9 billion) in 2025, reflecting a 57% drop from a year ago. The result was significantly lower than analyst expectations of 6.6 billion euros.

Mercedes-Benz Group said its earnings were shaped by foreign exchange headwinds and competition in China, alongside a reported 1 billion euro ($1.2 billion) hit in tariff costs.

“Amid a dynamic market environment, our financial results remained within our guidance, thanks to our sharp focus on efficiency, speed, and flexibility,” Ola Källenius, chairman of the board of management at Mercedes-Benz Group, said in a statement.

Mercedes-Benz Group said it planned further cost cuts in 2026 as well as a flurry of product launches, seeking to hit an 8% to 10% profit margin at its auto division.

Shares of the Munich-listed company fell 5.3% during morning deals.

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.


BP shares fall 5% after oil major suspends share buyback plan


Trowbridge in Somerset, England, on March 15, 2025.

Anna Barclay | Getty Images News | Getty Images

British oil giant BP on Tuesday posted fourth-quarter profit in line with expectations and suspended share buybacks, seeking to shore up its balance sheet as lower crude prices take their toll.

The London-listed energy firm reported underlying replacement cost profit, used as a proxy for net profit, of $1.54 billion for the final three months of 2025. That matched analyst expectations of $1.54 billion, according to an LSEG-compiled consensus.

BP’s full-year 2025 net profit came in at $7.49 billion, missing analyst expectations of $7.58 billion. That’s down from nearly $9 billion in 2024.

BP said the board decided to suspend the share buyback and fully allocate excess cash “to accelerate strengthening” of its balance sheet. The firm’s previous buyback was $750 million and was announced alongside third-quarter results in November.

For the fourth quarter, the company announced a dividend per ordinary share of 8.320 cents.

“2025 was a year of strong underlying financial results, strong operational performance, and meaningful strategic progress,” Carol Howle, BP interim CEO, said in a statement.

“We have made progress against our four primary targets – growing cash flow and returns, reducing costs, and strengthening the balance sheet – but know there is more work to be done, and we are clear on the urgency to deliver,” she added.

Woodside Energy boss Meg O’Neill is scheduled to take the reins at BP on April 1, following Murray Auchincloss’ decision to step down late last year.

Shares of BP fell 5.4% during morning deals, slipping toward the bottom of the pan-European Stoxx 600 index.

Some other earnings highlights included:

  • BP’s fourth-quarter net debt came in at $22.18 billion, down from around $23 billion in the same period last year.
  • Fourth-quarter operating cash flow came in at $7.6 billion, up from $7.43 billion a year ago.
  • BP set its 2026 capital expenditure budget at $13 billion to $13.5 billion, reflecting the lower end of its guidance range.

The results come at a tough time for Europe’s oil and gas sector.

Oil prices notched their biggest annual loss since the Covid-19 pandemic last year, partly due to oversupply concerns, ratcheting up the pressure on Big Oil’s commitment to shareholder returns.

BP’s industry rivals Equinor and Shell both reported weaker quarterly earnings last week, citing lower crude prices, among other factors.

Stock Chart IconStock chart icon

BP shares fall 5% after oil major suspends share buyback plan

BP, Equinor and Shell shares year-to-date

Equinor announced it would reduce share buybacks to $1.5 billion this year, down from $5 billion last year, while also trimming investments in its renewables and low-emission energy projects.

Shell, for its part, kept its buybacks steady at $3.5 billion, a move that marked the firm’s 17th consecutive quarter of $3 billion or more in buybacks.


Alphabet shares close flat after earnings beat. Here’s what’s happening


Alphabet shares close flat after earnings beat. Here’s what’s happening

Alphabet’s shares closed largely flat on Thursday after the company beat Wall Street’s expectations on earnings and revenue, with artificial intelligence spending projected to increase hugely this year.

The Google parent closed nearly 2% lower on Wednesday. After the bell, Alphabet reported fourth-quarter revenue of $113.83 billion, above the $111.43 billion estimate from analysts polled by LSEG.

Its Google Cloud division had $17.66 billion in revenue versus a forecast of $16.18 billion, according to StreetAccount. YouTube Advertising posted $11.38 billion in revenue versus the estimated $11.84 billion.

The tech giant said it would significantly increase its 2026 capital expenditure to between $175 billion and $185 billion — more than double its 2025 spend. A significant portion of capex spending would go toward investing in AI compute capacity for Google DeepMind.

What analysts are saying

Barclays analysts said in a note Thursday that Infrastructure, DeepMind and Waymo costs “weighed on overall Alphabet profitability,” and will continue to do so in 2026.

“Cloud’s growth is astonishing, measured by any metric: revenue, backlog, API tokens inferenced, enterprise adoption of Gemini. These metrics combined with DeepMind’s progress on the model side, starts to justify the 100% increase in capex in ’26,” they said.

“The AI story is getting better while Search is accelerating – that’s the most important take for GOOG,” they added.

Deutsche Bank analysts said in a note Thursday that Alphabet has “stunned the world” with its huge capex spending plan. “With tech in a current state of flux, it’s not clear whether that’s a good or a bad thing,” they wrote.

Correction: This story has been updated to correct that Alphabet shares were down on Thursday.


Sweden’s Volvo Cars on track for worst trading day ever as shares plunge over 18%


This photograph shows a partial view of a Volvo X30 electric car with the company logo at the Volvo factory in Ghent on April 25, 2025. This factory will produce the Volvo X30 100% electric model for the European market.

Nicolas Tucat | Afp | Getty Images

Shares of Sweden’s Volvo Cars tumbled as much as 19% on Thursday morning, putting the company on track for its worst trading day ever.

The automaker, which is owned by China’s Geely Holding, posted a substantial drop in fourth-quarter operating profit, citing the impact of U.S. tariffs, negative currency effects and weak demand.

Volvo Cars said fourth-quarter operating income excluding items affecting comparability fell by 68% to 1.8 billion Swedish krona ($200.46 million) compared to the same period a year prior.

“We have a very challenging market, especially in China, very tough competition. All of our European colleagues have the same problem,” Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson told CNBC’s “Europe Early Edition” on Thursday.

He added the discontinuation of EV incentives in the U.S. and China were also contributing to “a very challenging external environment.”

“But internally we have had very good work done with lowering our costs and securing a positive cash flow, so that I would highlight as the most important positive things that we have reached during the year,” he added.

Shares of Volvo Cars were last seen down 18.1%, having pared some of its earlier losses. A single-session fall of more than 11.2% would reflect the firm’s worst trading day ever.

A tough year ahead