Newcastle United star Anthony Gordon reportedly prefers a move to Liverpool over Arsenal and Chelsea. The Englishman is interested in making the switch this summer, and the Reds are keeping tabs on the winger.
According to a report in Tribal Football, Gordon wants to join Liverpool despite playing for Everton early in his career. The Newcastle United star has made his pick, but the Magpies are unwilling to sanction the sale after the Alexander Isak transfer issues last summer.
Thanks for the submission!
The Englishman spoke about the transfer rumors after scoring four goals against Qarabag this week, saying that he was unaware of any talks. He dismissed the reports as media talks and said (via Chronicle Live):
“About me? I haven’t seen them. What are they saying? It’s the same old, same old. I think they just pick names out of a hat. They do! I haven’t heard anything; they might want to tell me before they tell you [the media]. I have gone through enough transfer stuff now to know that it is all a load of rubbish.”
However, the report suggests that Newcastle United are open to selling the winger, but for the right amount and to Arsenal or Chelsea. The Gunners see him as the ideal player for the left winger, as they look to upgrade from Leandro Trossard and Gabriel Martinelli.
Chelsea have been tracking him since his Everton days, and were linked with a £50 million switch.
Arsenal urged to sign Liverpool target by Emmanuel Eboue
Emmanuel Eboue spoke to AceOdds earlier this year, urging Arsenal to sign Anthony Gordon this summer. He claimed that the Liverpool target was ideal for Mikel Arteta’s side on the left wing and said (via Football365):
“I am very surprised to see the performances from Anthony Gordon. When he left Everton and joined Newcastle, you can see the improvement he’s made and how he’s changed the way he plays. So, I’m very happy for him. I’m not surprised if Arsenal are thinking of getting Gordon because if he comes to Arsenal, I know that he will do very well.
“He’s a very good winger. If he comes to Arsenal, he will help the team a lot. Because I’m surprised by how well he plays. He’s changed the way he plays. In the Champions League, he’s been great for Newcastle. I think if next year Arsenal think about getting Gordon, it would be very good.”
Liverpool and Arsenal are pushing to sign Gordon, who signed a long-term deal at Newcastle United in 2024.
Noni Madueke has been in impressive form for Arsenal in recent weeks (Picture: Getty)
Arsenal winger Noni Madueke was the target of the Wolves boo boys during Wednesday’s clash between top and bottom in the Premier League.
The England international might appear an unusual player for the Molineux faithful to single out, but the 23-year-old has a bit of history with the relegation threatened club.
Ahead of Chelsea’s game at the same venue last season, Madueke committed social media gaffe by publishing a story on Instagram that read ‘Everything about this place is s***’.
Upon realising his mistake, Madueke published a clarification that did little to appease those of a Wolves persuasion.
He said: ‘Damnn wrong Instagram account.. You lot are too fast [laughing emoji, face palm emoji].’
Madueke’s every touch was subsequently booed by the home fans, but they clearly had little impact on the then Blues forward who scored a hat-trick in a thumping 6-2 win on that occasion.
The former PSV Eindhoven star moved from west to north London in the summer and has begun to win over the Arsenal supporters who were not keen on their club sanctioning a £50million transfer.
Get your football fix
Don’t want to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.
From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.
Sign up here, it’s an open goal.
Madueke declared that ‘everything’ about Wolverhampton was ‘s***’ (Picture: Instagram/@nonzinoo10)
Noni Madueke shoots at goal in Chelsea’s Premier League game against Wolves (Credits: Manjit Narotra/ProSports/Shutter)
Madueke had started Arsenal’s previous six games in all competitions prior to Wednesday night, in part down to Bukayo Saka’s unavailability.
And even though Saka returned to the visitors’ XI at Molineux, he continued in the No.10 position behind Viktor Gyokeres, with Madueke given the nod on the right flank.
Mikel Arteta made no secret of the fact he could use Saka more centrally after experimenting with the England international in the same role in Arsenal’s FA Cup win over Wigan on Sunday.
‘Yeah, that’s something that’s a possibility and I wanted to try it,’ Arteta told reporters after the Gunners booked their place in the fifth round.
‘We might use it in the future.
‘There’s still so many games, competitions and different scenarios to play from now until the end of the season.
Manchester United should beat Arsenal to the signing of Sandro Tonali, says Rene Meulensteen (Picture: Getty)
Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen has encouraged the club to pursue a possible move for Sandro Tonali in the summer transfer window.
The Red Devils prioritised overhauling their misfiring attack last summer, with Matheus Cunha, Bryan Mbeumo and Benjamin Sesko arriving through the doors at Old Trafford for a combined fee of around £200million.
Club bosses had also been keen to bring in a deep-lying midfielder to suit Ruben Amorim’s much-maligned 3-4-3 system, reportedly identifying Adam Wharton, Elliot Anderson and Carlos Baleba as potential targets.
Brighton have since confirmed United’s interest in Baleba on the back of an exceptional season for the 22-year-old Cameroon international last term at the Amex Stadium.
But according to Brighton CEO Tony Bloom, United simply ‘went away’ when informed that Baleba would not be sold unless an astronomical fee was offered for the former Lille man.
Despite Amorim’s departure as head coach, United remain in the market for a midfielder in the mold of Baleba – and the likes of Joao Gomes and Ruben Neves were also linked over the course the January transfer window.
If it were up to Meulensteen, though, Newcastle duo Tonali and Joelinton should both be on United’s radar as options who ‘could fit the bill’ at the Theatre of Dreams.
Get your football fix
Don’t want to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.
From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.
Sign up here, it’s an open goal.
Tonali was heavily linked with Premier League leaders Arsenal in January (Picture: Getty)
Newcastle are demanding a fee of at least £100m for the Italy midfielder (Picture: Getty)
Widespread reports claimed Arsenal made an approach for Tonali following an injury to Mikel Merino last month, but Newcastle made it clear the Italian was not for sale. It’s understood the Magpies have since slapped an asking price of £100m on their prized possession.
‘Sandro Tonali is a good player and he’s done really well for Newcastle,’ Meulensteen told BetGoat.
‘The rumours I heard were that he possibly wanted to go back to Italy, but he’s definitely a good player who understands how to play that role in midfield and he’s a good passer of the ball.
Meulensteen believes United need to bolster their options in midfield (Picture: Getty)
‘Manchester United definitely need to look into that position and what they need, I think they could look at Joelinton in that position. He obviously came there as a forward and Eddie Howe has dropped him and turned him into this massive motor in midfield.
‘He is a great player that has been learning from Bruno Guimaraes who is a leader, a strong character, a winner.
‘He’s possibly hard to get, but he could all fit the bill in my opinion.
‘Having said that, so does Adam Wharton because he’s so good at playing forward and that is exactly what the forwards would thrive on at Manchester United. Elliot Anderson again, great.’
But while Meulensteen recognises United’s apparent weakness at the base of the midfield, he is also wary about forcing Kobbie Mainoo out of the side again – as was the case under Michael Carrick’s predecessor Amorim.
‘There are so many, there’s plenty out there,’ Meulensteen, one of Sir Alex Ferguson’s most trusted lieutenants, added.
‘But you wouldn’t want to bring too many in because you don’t want Kobbie Mainoo to end up back on the bench again.
‘He’s proven in those games that Michael Carrick has played him and he has all the right to keep playing and improving because you’ve got an outstanding player there.’
Tonali has remained coy over his future beyond the summer (Picture: Getty)
After the incessant rumours linking him with Arsenal towards the end of January, Tonali appeared to reaffirm his commitment to Newcastle with his animated goal celebration in the side’s FA Cup win over Aston Villa on Saturday.
Tonali, who scored twice in a 3-1 victory at Villa Park, later explained: ‘The first one, this celebration was, I think, seven months without scoring; if you don’t score for seven months, after the first goal, you celebrate for 10 or 11 goals – like Bruno [Guimaraes]!
‘But after the second goal, I came to Eddie [Howe] because in the past few weeks, people spoke about our relationship, but I work every day with the gaffer, the gaffer works every day with me, and our relationship is perfect. It’s not broken and I think this is perfect for the team.
‘We try to do the best for this team, every game, because we play a lot of games – every three days, we play, and we have to be concentrated every time in the training ground to do the best for our team.’
Tonali scored a second-half brace in Newcastle’s defeat of Villa (Picture: Getty)
Tonali has made 96 appearances in all competitions across his three-year spell with Newcastle and got his hands on some silverware last season as Howe’s men lifted the Carabao Cup.
A ten-month ban – after Tonali was found to have breached Italian betting regulations – meant the midfielder played just eight league games in the debut season at St James’ Park.
Tonali’s current contract with the Toon runs through to June 2028, with the option of a further 12 months.
Arsenal are not the only team to have explored a possible bid for Tonali, with Serie A giants Juventus also known to be long-term admirers of the former Brescia and AC Milan man.
In a recent interview with Tuttosport, Sandro’s agent, Giuseppe Riso insisted the Italy international was yet to make a decision regarding his future beyond the end of the season.
Asked if Tonali could be set to return to the Italy in the summer, Riso replied: ‘There’s no preference right now.
‘It’s still early. What we’re saying today won’t apply tomorrow.
‘Newcastle couldn’t part with him now and it wasn’t worth moving, especially since Sandro is very attached to the club.
‘We’ll evaluate things in the summer and decide what to do.’
Riso added: ‘Newcastle is having a hard time letting go of Sandro, and he wants to lead the club into the Champions League,’
‘These transfer discussions will take place later.’
Will Sandro Tonali still be a Newcastle player next season?
Sign up to In The Mixer, your guide to the week in football. Exclusive analysis, FPL tips and transfer talk – sign up, it’s an open goal.
Canada has launched a robust defence against accusations it deliberately withdrew four athletes from a skeleton race, a move that dashed eventual winner Katie Uhlaender’s hopes of qualifying for the Winter Olympics.
Timber and Saka missed training this week (Picture: Getty)
Mikel Arteta has provided injury updates on Jurrien Timber, Bukayo Saka and Martin Odegaard ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League clash with Sunderland.
The Gunners head into the weekend after an excellent pair of results following their setback against Manchester United, thrashing Leeds United last weekend before booking their place in the Carabao Cup final with a win over Chelsea.
Injuries have been a concern, however. Saka withdrew from the Arsenal starting XI during the warm-up shortly before kick-off at Elland Road, also missing the visit of Chelsea midweek. Noni Madueke started ahead of him in both games.
Odegaard played 61 minutes against Leeds but picked up a ‘niggle’ that afternoon that saw him left out of the squad midweek.
The duo were not pictured in training on Thursday with Jurrien Timber also absent.
Speaking ahead of the visit of the Black Cats, Arteta revealed the Dutchman is ‘fine’, suggesting he is fit to start on Saturday.
While Saka is ‘much better’, Arteta suggested this weekend will come too soon for him.
Get your football fix
Don’t want to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.
From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.
Sign up here, it’s an open goal.
‘His hip is much better, and hopefully very soon he will be with us,’ Arteta said.
Odergaard however is set to miss out again with his manager explaining he is still ‘a few days away’.
More to follow
MORE: Tim Sherwood tips Man Utd to hijack Liverpool transfer move for £100m star
MORE: Bruno Guimaraes and Anthony Gordon injury update ahead of Newcastle vs Brentford
MORE: Leon Goretzka responds to Arsenal offer after failed January transfer
Pep Guardiola claims Manchester City are at a disadvantage ahead of the Carabao Cup final (Picture: Getty)
Manchester City will seek permission for a rule change that would allow Marc Guehi to play in next month’s Carabao Cup final against Arsenal.
The January signing from Crystal Palace has slotted straight into City’s starting XI but was ineligible for last night’s comfortable 3-1 semi-final second leg win over Newcastle.
While fellow January recruit Antoine Semenyo was free to play, Guehi was prevented from featuring because he joined City after the first leg against Newcastle took place.
As things stand the England international will have to watch from the sidelines again when his new side locks horns with the current Premier League leaders on March 22, much to Guardiola’s annoyance.
Guardiola acknowledged he did not expect City to be successful, but said they will make their case regardless.
‘Why should he not play? Why not?’ Guardiola said. ‘He’s our player, we pay his salary, we hired him…
Marc Guehi will have to wait to see if he can play against Arsenal (Picture: Getty)
Get your football fix
Don’t want to miss the week’s biggest football stories? Metro’s exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.
From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.
Sign up here, it’s an open goal.
‘We want to ask. I said to the club we have to ask definitely. I don’t understand the reason why he cannot play in the final of the Carabao Cup in March when he has been here a long time…
‘Of course we are going to ask because it’s pure logic. (But) to change the rule, no way. But we will try.’
Guardiola’s complaints didn’t stop at Guehi’s potential participation, however, and also made reference to his annoyance at having to travel to London for another showpiece occasion.
He said: ‘We’re going to travel to London [for the Carabao Cup final], they [Arsenal] will wait for us there; all the time we have to travel. Never [the opposition] travel to the North of England [for a Final].’
Omar Marmoush was the star for City as he scored the opening two goals of the night before Tijjani Reijnders added a third, all inside 35 minutes.
Guardiola would have been concerned by the number of chances Newcastle created after the break, but with Anthony Elanga’s 62nd-minute strike the only one they converted, City were never overly troubled.
The win continues City’s run of having played at Wembley at least once every season since 2010-11.
Omar Marmoush scored twice in Man City’s win over Newcastle (Picture: Getty)
‘I do not take it for granted,’ Guardiola said. ‘I know how difficult it is. I don’t know how many semi-finals and finals we have played in the FA Cup but it’s really good, and in 10 years five Carabao Cup finals so it’s really good: top, top, top.’
Marmoush, who previously scored a hat-trick against Newcastle, once again grabbed his chance against the Magpies with Erling Haaland starting on the bench.
‘He gives us a special quality,’ Guardiola said of the Egyptian. ‘His pace, his moments in behind, and his work ethic.’
Newcastle arrived in Manchester trailing 2-0 from the reverse fixture and knowing a strong start was essential.
Anthony Gordon’s injury compounded a miserable night for Newcastle (Picture: Getty)
Instead, they found themselves quickly 3-0 down and effectively out of it.
‘(I was) really annoyed with the first half display,’ boss Eddie Howe said. ‘We pride ourselves on being really organised and tactically we want to be able to handle any problem the opposition gives us. That first half we weren’t good enough individually and our duels were off and it gave us huge problems.’
To add to Howe’s worries, Anthony Gordon was forced off before half-time.
‘It looks like a hamstring problem,’ Howe said. ‘I don’t qute know how bad it was but it was enough for him to come off so that’s a big worry.’
MORE: Pep Guardiola makes Arsenal claim after Manchester City’s Carabao Cup semi-final win over Newcastle United
MORE: Martin Zubimendi names three clubs Arsenal must beware of in Champions League
MORE: Michael Owen gives two reasons why Arsenal will not win the quadruple