Nadiya Hussain ‘facing judgement’ for new job working in a school after BBC axe


Nadiya Hussain ‘facing judgement’ for new job working in a school after BBC axe
TV chef Nadiya Hussain has swapped the studio for the classroom with her new job (Picture: BBC/PA)

Great British Bake Off star Nadiya Hussain has turned her back on showbusiness and is now working as a teaching assistant after the BBC axed her cookery show last year.

The TV chef, 41 was one of the biggest breakout stars of Bake Off following her win in the sixth series in 2015, going on to front several shows for the broadcaster, including the award-nominated Nadiya Chronicles, Nadiya Bakes and Nadiya’s Fast Flavours.

After the BBC’s decision to drop her – something she still ‘doesn’t know why’ happened – Nadiya said she’d been courted with other offers from the likes of ITV and Channel 4.

However, she’s chosen to pursue a career in teaching instead – despite feeling ‘judged’ by some for doing so.

‘I’m currently working as a teaching assistant at a lovely little primary school. The plan is to hopefully gain some training and maybe in the future become a teacher,’ she told Woman & Home magazine.

Get personalised updates on The Great British Bake Off

Wake up to find news on your TV shows in your inbox every morning with Metro’s TV Newsletter.

Sign up to our newsletter and then select your show in the link we’ll send you so we can get TV news tailored to you.

‘I had to do an application form, an interview, go in and sit in with the kids and see how they reacted to me. I did get people ringing me, saying, “Sorry, is this actually the Nadiya Hussain?” and I’m like, “Yes, it is and I am looking for a job and I would like an opportunity”.’

Nadiya's Cook Once, Eat Twice,08-10-2024,Impress For Less,4 - Impress For Less,Nadiya Hussain,holding her Thrifty Banana Peel Curry,Wall to Wall,Tom Kirkman
Nadiya, who was a stalwart of the BBC for a decade after her Bake Off win, is now working as a classroom assistant after her cooking show was axed (Picture: BBC/Wall to Wall/Tom Kirkman)
EMBARGOED UNTIL 00.01 BST SATURDAY 21st FEBRUARY Nadiya Hussain in Woman and Home MUST credit Photos: Elisabeth Hoff and MUST use front cover ANY PICTURE ENQUIRIES TO PHIL.ATTAWAY@FUTURENET.COM PLEASE USE THE IMAGES WITH A W&H COVER SUPPLIED MINIMUM 7 CM HIGH AND 5CM WIDE AND WITH THE BELOW CREDITS CREDITS MUST INCLUDE: Photos: Elisabeth Hoff
She is eyeing a future as a teacher although said some close to her had ‘judged’ her decision to step away from TV (Picture: Elisabeth Hoff/Woman and Home)

Nadiya shared that she was ‘really enjoying being in an environment where I’m not the centre of it’, even though friends and loved ones had questioned her for taking a step backwards, as they see it.

However she brainstormed her career move with the support of her husband Abdal, knowing she could be faced with a fork in the road.

‘There have been lots of tears, sadness and judgement. People [close to me] have asked, “Why would you go from being here, right at the top to being at the bottom?” but I don’t see it that way,’ the TV star and author, who received an MBE in the 2020 New Year Honours, added.

‘Just because I’m famous doesn’t mean I’m at the top. I have been at my lowest at the top.’

She also insisted that since she started working at the school, she’s ‘had some of my highest moments’ because ‘nothing beats’ helping the kids she works with feel safe and achieve their goals.

Television programme: The Great British Bake Off, picture shows - finalists Tamal Ray, Nadiya Hussain and Ian Cumming. (C) Love Productions - Photographer: Mark Bourdillon
Nadiya became the first Muslim contestant to win The Great British Bake Off in 2015 (Picture: BBC/Love Productions/Mark Bourdillon)

When it came to the BBC cancelling her show, Nadiya revealed she had a ‘gut feeling that something wasn’t right’ after 10 years of a regular schedule between her TV work and cookbooks.

She was informed by her agent that the BBC would not be commissioning her to do another TV show and has still not received an explanation as to why from her previous employers.

The former Junior Bake Off judge said: ‘I appreciate that it’s an industry, it’s a business and it’s about making money, but I still don’t know [why they’ve let me go] because I haven’t had a conversation with anyone.

‘There are no answers, no closure.’

EMBARGOED UNTIL 00.01 BST SATURDAY 21st FEBRUARY Nadiya Hussain in Woman and Home MUST credit Photos: Elisabeth Hoff and MUST use front cover ANY PICTURE ENQUIRIES TO PHIL.ATTAWAY@FUTURENET.COM PLEASE USE THE IMAGES WITH A W&H COVER SUPPLIED MINIMUM 7 CM HIGH AND 5CM WIDE AND WITH THE BELOW CREDITS CREDITS MUST INCLUDE: Photos: Elisabeth Hoff
She said she had ‘no closure’ on the BBC’s decision to drop her because the broadcaster didn’t share any reason (Picture: Elisabeth Hoff/Woman and Home)
EMBARGOED UNTIL 00.01 BST SATURDAY 21st FEBRUARY Nadiya Hussain in Woman and Home MUST credit Photos: Elisabeth Hoff and MUST use front cover ANY PICTURE ENQUIRIES TO PHIL.ATTAWAY@FUTURENET.COM PLEASE USE THE IMAGES WITH A W&H COVER SUPPLIED MINIMUM 7 CM HIGH AND 5CM WIDE AND WITH THE BELOW CREDITS CREDITS MUST INCLUDE: Photos: Elisabeth Hoff
The author and TV star is the cover star for Woman and Home’s latest issue (Picture: Elisabeth Hoff/Woman and Home)

In a statement at the time, a BBC spokesman said: ‘After several wonderful series we have made the difficult decision not to commission another cookery show with Nadiya Hussain at the moment.

‘Nadiya remains a much-valued part of the BBC family, and we look forward to working together on future projects.’

At the time the TV personality took to social media to explain that she had always been made to ‘feel grateful’ for the opportunities she received, which added an ‘invisible pressure’ to not voice her frustrations or her desire for more.

And while she is not interested in TV work right now, Nadiya knows what would pique her interest to return, including more creative input in cookery shows.

She’s also interested in creating travelogues and documentaries ‘about issues that matter’, following her 2019 BBC One documentary Nadiya: Anxiety and Me.

The April issue of woman&home is on sale on February 26.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.