Province setting up temporary classrooms for Tumbler Ridge students in wake of mass shooting | CBC News
Listen to this article
Estimated 3 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
The B.C. government is setting up temporary classroom space in trailers for the students of Tumbler Ridge, B.C., in the wake of the mass shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School last week.
Five students, aged 12 to 13, were killed in the mass shooting last week. A 39-year-old education assistant, Shannda Aviugana-Durand, was also killed at the school.
In the wake of the tragedy, which is one of Canada’s worst-ever mass shootings, B.C. Premier David Eby pledged that none of the students in the district of Tumbler Ridge would be forced to return to the school.
Now, the province has announced that trailers and temporary facilities are being set up on the grounds of Tumbler Ridge Elementary School, just under a kilometre north of the secondary school, though an exact return-to-school date hasn’t been confirmed.
RCMP on Thursday identified the six children and two adults shot and killed in Tumbler Ridge, B.C. Six of the victims — Zoey Benoit, Ticaria Lampert, Abel Mwansa, Ezekiel Schofield, Kylie Smith and Shannda Aviugana-Durand — were found inside a high school, and two — Emmett Jacobs and Jennifer Strang, identified by police using her legal name, Jennifer Jacobs — were found inside a home. (CORRECTION: Feb. 13, 2026 | Emmett Jacobs is described in this video as Jesse Van Rootselaar’s stepbrother. In fact, Emmett’s father has since confirmed he was Van Rootselaar’s half-brother.)
The first of 14 temporary units arrived Monday, according to a provincial statement, and the structures are set to serve secondary school students “until community input, expert advice and future plans can be confirmed.”
Officials told CBC News that the future of the secondary school site — including potential demolition — has not yet been determined.
“We are continuing to use a compassionate, trauma-informed approach that includes providing updates to the school community, families and the public about a planned return to school in the coming days,” said Chad Anderson, the chair of the Peace River South School District, in the province’s statement.

Tumbler Ridge Secondary School had an enrolment size of around 160 students, according to the school district’s website.
The B.C. government says that counsellors would support students and staff as they transition to the new buildings, and they would continue to be available once classes resume too.
In its statement, the province says it is expected to take several days to set up the new temporary units, depending on weather conditions and other factors.
The premier and school officials say students in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., won’t be returning to class at the local high school after the mass shooting that left eight victims dead. A back-to-school plan and alternative locations are still being determined.
The first facilities that arrived Monday are bathroom trailers, according to the government, with classroom units to arrive on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The RCMP have said the examination of the scene at the secondary school is complete and the building has been turned over to the school district.
In addition to the six victims killed at the school, police say two other people were killed at the home of the perpetrator of the mass shooting, 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar.
The mass shooting prompted an outpouring of grief for the residents of Tumbler Ridge from across Canada and the world.

